an amateur, wannabe film critic and analyst, who should be writing his dissertation on other matters, has decided to turn his spare time into analyzing the creation of narrative perspective in the films he watches.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Day Excitement = Blog Updates

Well, I'm starting to make my way into the world of blogging. No doubt the first day is exciting for everyone.

I've started to look around the web for resources and blogs who do what interests me here. So far, most film blogs I've found are in the genre of "review," giving the story-line and some sense of how that story is achieved, and then a "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" kind of scale or impression on whether the whole thing works for the reviewer or not. I've also seen, but not really investigated, some technical stuff on the production side.

I'm after a tighter link between technique and effect, the poetics of the film, and in particular narrative perspective and Bakhtinian voicing. So I might be choosy for a while on what goes under the "useful links" section. I'm looking for real nitty-gritty analysis in the resource.

My first link is to Yale Film Analysis Web Site 2.0 (was there a Beta?), from which I have started to educate myself on the basic vocab of film studies. They do a nice job, because they give examples of how various techniques have been used to create particular effects paradigmatically by certain movies. The site doesn't seem to have been updated since 2002, but it's still completely functioning. I found it through this site, which seems to be mostly for the prof's coursework, and doesn't seem to be updated at the moment. But that site also put me onto this one, which also seems to be a course website, but has an interesting list of "Studying and Writing-About Film" which has a list of links which I'll try to check out. The list of links doesn't seem user-friendly, being that long...but this seems to be an inherent limitation in the blogging software. Which makes me wonder how long I'll be using this particular one.

By reading the Yale site, I am breaking my initial idea of not really educating myself about Film Studies, and just having fun. But, I promise to stay amateurish to the end.

My other set of updates for today were a site meter (which only measures my one visit prior to the ignore cookie), and, at the bottom of the page, posters from a couple of my favorite movies right now, to which I plan dedicating a post in the near future. I'll add more as I have time.

No comments: